70% Solution

The important guidelines for a spay/neuter program are:

  • Provide access to affordable surgeries to a population that would not otherwise afford or have access to sterilize their pet
  • Target one area that has pet overpopulation problems to provide spay and neuter procedures
  • Sterilize at least 70% of the selected population within one breeding cycle to stabilize that population
  • Sterilize the same population further to achieve a decline in that population while starting to sterilize at least 70% of the next targeted area to stabilize that population
  • Repeat the clinics as need

 WSAPA 2 dogs Trudy 2

How It Works:

In the 1200’s, Leonardo Fibonacci created a formula (70%) that is still used by many scientists, including the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control. It states that 70% of a population must be vaccinated in order to prevent an epidemic of a contagious disease. In a pet overpopulation article, Dr. Marvin Mackie proposes that “pet sterilization is ‘vaccinating’ against the disease of overpopulation.” With the remaining 30% of the population, births occur at a rate only great enough to replace normal attrition. Pet overpopulation grows exponentially in relation to the unsterilized population (1 male and female cat and their offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years; 1 male and 1 female dog and offspring can produce 67,000 dogs in 6 years).

To reach the 70% solution, the ASNTF holds grass roots, large volume, high quality spay/neuter events in First Nation communities. We provide licensed veterinarians, Animal Health Technicians and all necessary surgical equipment. The events, in themselves, are educational because they include the community members and are held in a gymnasium or any other facility the community can provide.

 

Dogs in Rain from Ellen